St Mary The Virgin, Yazor

No Image Available


View Larger Map


  • Road reference: On A480, 7m NW of Hereford
  • OS Grid Ref: SO 406 466
  • Parking available
  • Open daily
  • Visit the website

Yazor’s thin tower and spire and its two tall Wellingtonia trees stand out on their hillside, overlooking the main road and the WyeValley beyond. The church was built at the expense of the Price family of nearby Foxley between 1843 and 1855. The architect was George Moore, though the spire and the remarkable fittings were completed by the rector, the Revd R L Freer after Moore became insane. The sanctuary is a riot of colour and carving. There is good quality stained glass by William Warrington and many monuments came from Yazor’s old church across the main road, of which only the south transept and part of the tower survive.