St John The Baptist, Eastnor

St John The Baptist, EastnorImage Credit: Trevor Rickard



  • Upper Road, Eastnor, Herefordshire HR8 1RA
  • 2 miles east of Ledbury just off the A438
  • OS Grid Reference SO 731 372
  • Car Parking
  • No Disbaled Access
  • Tea Rooms at Eastnor Castle
  • Hours of Access – Daily during daylight hours
  • Visit the website

Eastnor lies at southern end of the Malvern Hills AONB. The Grade 1 listed church of St. John the Baptist is adjacent to Eastnor Castle and views of its tower are the first sight of the village afforded to those using the popular public footpath to walk from Ledbury, as well as those walking in the Castle Deer Park.

There has been a church on the site since the 12th Century. Some parts of the early building remain, including the south nave doorway, the 12th century font and the 13th century nave arcade. The lower parts of the west tower is also 13th century, while the upper part is 14th century.

The church was comprehensively refurbished by Sir George Gilbert Scott RA in the early 1850s, including the addition of a mortuary Chapel for the monuments to members of the Somers Cocks family of Eastnor Castle.

The interior of the church includes fine monuments by Stuart and Scheemakers, glass by Kempe, described by Pevsner as “very fine” and “excellent” respectively. There is a rare Pugin-framed picture of the crucifixion and an organ by Nicholson (1867).

Further information about the church can be found here and on the Eastnor Castle website.

Image Credit: Mark Broadbent

Image Credit: Eastnor Castle

Image Credit: Jules and Jenny

Image Credit: Pauline Eccles

Eastnor Church pre 1852 Refurb