St Peter & St Paul, Weobley
- Road reference: Church Road, Weobley, HR4 8SN
- OS Grid Ref: SO 3951 5208
- Parking available
- Disabled access
- Open during daylight hours
- Toilets on site
- Nearest Light Refreshments – 200 yards
The first mention of a resident priest at “wibbelai” comes in the Domesday Book of 1086. The first stone church on this site was built in the twelfth century by Hugh de Lacy which replaced an earlier wooden building, erected during Saxon times. Hugh de Lacy became Lord of the manor in 1091 having already helped to found Llanthony Priory in 1085.
The first vicar of whom we know was Philip de Woonton in 1287. The present building is essentially the third church on this site, built in the decorated Perpendicular Style, with some early English remnants, and dating mainly from the thirteenth century.
This magnificent Church has a fourteenth century185’ spire and is the only spire in the county to be supported by little flying buttresses connected to pinnacles rising from the tower.
It contains a fine marble memorial to Cromwellian supporter and Parliamentarian Col. John Birch. Other features include medieval stained glass, ball-flower decorations, a scissor-beamed roof and a Norman archway in the South Porch. There are some fine 15th century figures of little angels in the tracery of the north window.