St Mary The Virgin, Welsh Newton
- Road reference: Off A466
- OS Grid Ref: SO 49964 18023
- Limited parking available
- Disabled access on request
- Open during daylight hours
The Church consists of a nave, chancel and tower built during the 13th century and a porch built during the 14th century.
Up until 1312 it belonged to the Knights Templar and then on their suppression it passed into the hands of the Knights Hospitaller. The Knights Hospitaller were deprived of their possessions at the dissolution of the monasteries in about 1540.
The Church contains much of interest, in particular, the Rood Screen has been described as one of the great possessions of the church; there are very few stone screens as old. It was erected in about 1320 and displays the typical embellishment of the decorated period, the ball flower. The present roof dates from the early 16th century, but portions of the original roof remain.
Outside the churchyard extends to just over 2 acres and is surrounded by a fine stone wall built in 1866. The preaching Cross has medieval steps and socket-stone with a modern shaft and head. The grave of Saint John Kemble is situated immediately west of the Cross. Various Knight Templar/Hospitaller graves can be seen both in the church and churchyard.