St Margaret of Antioch, Wellington
- Road reference: Off A49 5 miles North of Hereford
- OS Grid Ref: SO 498 483
- Parking available
- Disabled access
- Open during daylight hours
The earliest parts of the building are Norman including the distorted chancel arch and the lower stages of the tower. The final stage of the tower was added around 1400. The tower houses a ring of six bells dating between 15th and 17th century and a dismounted Sanctus.
There are fine timber roofs to the porch and north aisle dating form the 14th century. Extensive renovation was undertaken in late 19th century mainly to the chancel and south nave wall. The roof was re-tiled but the tie beams and roof bosses were preserved.
There is a ‘green man’ boss in the north transept.
Of the many wall memorials two are of particular interest. Sir Herbert Perrott, an important benefactor to Wellington, is commemorated by a large heraldic monument on the east chancel wall. The memorial is to Benjamin Tomkins ‘the elder’ is situated on the wall above the pulpit. He moved to Wellington court from Canon Pyon in 1758. Together with his son, Benjamin Tomkins ‘the younger’ he was an important early developer of the Hereford cattle breed.