St Leonards, Hatfield
- Road reference: 4 miles off A44 Leominster to Bromyard
- OS Grid Ref & Postcode: SO 585 594, HR6 0SF.
- Hours of access: Daylight hours.
- Parking available roadside.
- Wheelchair Access with assistance
Recorded in Doomsday book, St Leonard’s is one of the 3 oldest churches in Herefordshire. Situated in the centre of the hamlet of Hatfield opposite Hatfield Court farm. The oldest part of the church is the eastern section of the north wall, containing a blocked up Norman doorway with an unusual lintel of 3 large jogged stones and tympanum with trellis decoration. This and the quoins are built of tufa from quarries near Stockton-on-Teme. The north wall also contains distinctive herringbone masonry that is thought to date from the close of the C11th.
The interior comprises a wide C13th chancel arch, also of tufa, fine roof timbers, single nave and chancel, with Georgian box pews and pulpit. The original tub font, near the stairs leading to the Georgian gallery, is pre-Norman. There are 2 bells, including one rare early C13th flowerpot shaped bell, and Commandment boards either side of the altar.
The 3 memorials to the Colles family, who built the original red brick Hatfield Court opposite the church in the C16th, are dated 1641 to 1673.