St Cosmas & St Damian, Stretford
- Road Reference: Off A4110
- OS Grid Ref: SO 443 558
- Parking available
- Open Access
Stretford takes its name from the great Roman road with a ford across the river. It connected the legionary headquarters at Caerleon to the south and Chester in the north. The church is set by a farmyard and is a most unusual and interesting building, almost as broad as it is long. A 13th century arcade divides twin naves and chancels, with the whole covered by one roof constructed about 1540. Two massive early 16th century timber screens go right across the church, dividing naves from chancels, with a Jacobean pulpit in the middle. There are two 14th century stone effigies of couples, probably members of the Delabere family who lived locally. The dedication is to the patron saints of physicians and surgeons. Cosmas and Damian were brothers and spent their lives in Aegea (modern Ayash) in Turkey. There are four other such dedications in England.
A part of the Churches Conservation Trust.