Putley

No Image Available

Location


View Larger Map

Information

  • Post code: HR8 2QP
  • Road reference: Off the A438. After Ledbury. Follow signs for Putley Green
  • OS Grid Ref: SO 646 376
  • Open day light hours
  • Refreshments  – Trumpet Inn and the Nest on A438

We have a service each Sunday at 9.30am; car parking and 6 footpaths make us readily accessible.

C 1100 on site of Roman remains. No dedication can be established. Restored 1875 with high Victorian reredos and contemporary stained glass. Some Roman remains incorporated. Pew ends carved by children of the restoring Riley family; one commemorating the peace of 1918. 

Outside we have a fine 13c plague cross and magnificent 1920 Calvary War Memorial.

The four faces of the cross show an early depiction of Christ crucified, Mary with child Jesus and fleur- de-lis, St Andrew and a beheaded Becket. The good quality suggests this carving may have been secreted following Henry’s (?) purge.  

More modern are the box tombs, one of which is dedicated to an officer under Nelson at Trafalgar.  

Currently 2017/18 we are being recorded by the Ross-on-Wye FAS. This has resulted in the disclosure of many old and interesting papers and documents. We hope to have a taster of these in church some time in 2018; they are available at Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre.


Putley Church

Putley Church

Putley Church

Putley Church