Christ Church, Llanwarne
- Between A466 & B4348
- OS Grid Ref: SO 506 281, HR2 8JE
- Parking available
- Wheelchair Access by arrangement
The scenic village of Llanwarne is approximately six miles north west of Ross on Wye. Llanwarne means The church by the alder trees.
The village’s attractions, other than its scenic beauty, include the ruined Church of St. John, the Baptist. One of the oldest seats of Christianity, it was once owned by the monastery of Llantony. It was abandoned in 1864 due to constant flooding from the brook, the Gamber.
The chancel and nave of St. John’s were built in the 13th Century, with later alterations, which include rebuilding of the south aisle and a cross being built in the churchyard during the 14th century. A tower and columbarium and a lych gate were added during the 15th century and in the 16th century, an Elizabethan monument was placed on the south wall. The porch and doorway were built in the 17th century.
This church was replaced by the current Christ Church , which is situated on higher ground slightly to the west of the original site. A fine example of Victorian craftsmanship, it also houses a number of historic treasures relocated from the old church. On the south side of the church are two windows which contain a rare and beautiful collection of 27 16th century stained glass round windows from the Netherlands .