St George, Orleton
- Road reference: Kings Road, Off the B4361
- OS Grid Ref: SO 495 672 SY8 4HN
- Open daily from 9am – 5pm
- Refreshments at The Boot Inn, The Baker’s Arms and the Post Office and Stores.
St Georges Church was built in the 12th century and there are several interesting features that bring visitors from far and wide.
There is a stained glass window depicting Sir Arthur Keysall Yapp, founder of the YMCA, who was born in the village. Further down the church are two heads thought to be those of King Edward II and his Queen, Isabella, also the head of Roger Mortimer, Lord of Wigmore, lover of Queen Isabella and responsible for the overthrow of the King.
There is a very intricately carved Jacobean pulpit of 17th century origin above which is a crucifix carved by a Belgian refugee in 1916, as a token of thanks for the hospitality he received in the village. The 12th century font is notable for its arches depicting the Apostles.
Outside in the churchyard are a 12th century preaching cross, recently renovated with help from English Heritage and a number of graves of the Procter family (of Proctor & Gamble fame). Members of the PCC have mapped the whole churchyard; this is of particular help to those wishing to locate graves in their genealogy pursuits.
More information is available in the church guide, on sale in church.