Church of St James, Wigmore
- Road reference: Castle Street, Wigmore HR6 9UD
- OS Grid Ref: SO 413 691
- Open daily from 9.30am until dusk
- W.C. at Village Hall
- Village store and local pub provide all day refreshment
St. James was built by the Mortimer family in the 11th century. On the site of an earlier Saxon building, the shape and design of the churchyard would imply an earlier, possibly late Celtic, foundation.
Having undergone several changes, many important architectural features remain, including a very early Norman nave, with herringbone opus spicatum masonry exposed internally at viewing level, a rare 14th century piscina, a double sedilia and arched windows
There are examples of 15th century roofing and windows, and an early 16th century decagonal pulpit. The altar is of 17th century construction, and the layout of the choir stalls reflects the influence of Puritanism. Victorian additions include glazing, ceiling timbers and family monuments.
The tower houses functional bells, dated 1721, and a recently restored wrought-iron side by side birdcage clock, circa 1670-1790.
Church registers are complete from 1572 and can be viewed by appointment.